Lift High the Cross, From Hill to Rolling Hill

October 10th, 2015 bpseni19

My name is Brian Senier, and I’m a proud son of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I was born in Boston and raised in Melrose, a small suburb a few miles north of Boston proper. For this blog’s purposes, however, I’m, first and foremost, a first-year student at Holy Cross, honored to accompany you on your journey – whatever that may be. Already, I’m smitten of Holy Cross’ familial feel, stimulating academic culture, and welcoming social scene. Suffice it to say, I think our alma mater has it right: “Thy honored name shall never die, Holy Cross, oh Holy Cross!”

I write you today, my dear readers, with an especially upbeat swagger, for today came bearing some good news.

Just a few short hours ago, my Critical Reading and Writing: Multigenre (CRAW) professor, Dean Shawn Maurer, handed back my first collegiate graded writing assignment. Since the thematic focus of the course is coming-of-age literature, memoir, and film, Professor Maurer assigned us to review films centering on a character’s transition from childhood to adulthood.

I penned a review of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, the classic John Hughes masterwork. And — I know that you must be writhing in anticipation as I delay telling — I got an A-! To give you some early insight into Holy Cross’ daunting academic program, that was the highest grade awarded on the paper. Needless to say, I’ve been conquering the Cross’ sprawling hills with some more pep than usual on this Tuesday!

Now’s not the time to rest on my laurels, though – we have a major analytical essay on Bill Roorbach’s “Fog” due Friday!

Aside from my academic pursuits, I won election as Class of 2019 Secretary, earned a spot on the Mock Trial team, accepted membership into the Holy Cross Mediation Association (and look forward to an invitational competition this weekend at Northeastern University Law School), joined the Society of Saints Peter and Paul, a religious and philosophical discussion group, entered the College’s St. Thomas More Pre-Law Society, volunteered for Student Programs for Urban Development, Admissions Outreach, College Republicans, and began training to serve as a lector as school liturgies. Chalk full, right? We Crusaders wouldn’t have it any other way!

F. Scott Fitzgerald, one of my favorite writers, noted in The Great Gatsby: “Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.” I have found myself trafficking in both of Fitzgerald’s fall challenges lately. The College’s abundance of new beginnings, and the crisper, New England fall air have me feeling like I’m HC’s resident “Jay Gatsby.” Not to send trite wisdom your way, but college certainly has no shortage of opportunities for exploration. You will, I trust, add much to the campus milieu during your tenure as Crusader. To the alums reading, your mark endures, inspiring my peers and me to leave our own.

Speaking of new beginnings, here is a picture of my dad and me posing for a goodbye picture –conveniently wearing sunglasses, I might add — after the Mass of the Holy Spirit on August 29, move-in day.

With Fall Break looming, all of us at Holy Cross are inundated with papers and midterms, so I’m afraid I’ll have to bid farewell for now. Next time, expect more detail on my classes, extracurricular exploits, and social activities with my friends. Until we meet again, lift high the Cross!

Assuring you of fondest wishes on finding success and happiness in your life, I remain your faithful servant,

Brian P. Senier